Re: g

Howdy-

I agree with what Michael Edmiston says with a few caveats.

The sign on vectors are a real pain for students to get. I blame math
teachers. They tell students that the sign on a number represents a change
in the magnitude, while all of us in physics know that the sign indicates
direction instead. After all, given the two velocities of +10 m/s and -15
m/s and asked who had the bigger velocity, the answer is the -15 m/s.

So, I spend days emphasizing the arbitrary nature of the signs and the sign
conventions. I force students to do some of the problems twice -- once in
each orientation -- to show that they get the same answer. Further, I do not
accept answers that try to indicate the direction using the sign alone.
Negative isn't always down.

In class, thus, I do not speak of the acceleration due to gravity as -9.8
m/s/s, but rather as 9.8 m/s/s downwards. It may be negative or positive
depending on how the problem is set up.

One final thing, unlike many teachers, I never derive the specialized
formulas for falling objects that Michael discusses below. I always have my
students use the same kinematic formulas for all things. I don't really want
them to perceive that accelerating from gravity is different kinematically
than any other sort of acceleration.

Marc "Zeke" Kossover