Hello
I have a problem with my calc-based physics students. The problem is over the sign of g, the gravitational acceleration.

I have told them the convention is that it is always downward even if the object is going upward.

I can't seem to explain to them why this is. They tell me the book says it is positive. That is not what the book says, the book says exactly what I am saying.

How can I make it clearer to them about g and its sign?

Thanks
Tina

Tina Fanetti
Physics Instructor
Western Iowa Technical Community College
4647 Stone Ave
Sioux City IA 51102
712-274-8733 ext 1429