Re: World's noise

a good way to get started on Fourier analysis is by playing with
a DOS package called "Plotter" written by a research engineer
called Robert Lindsay Wells who is at UTexasTyler last I heard.

While Fourier analysis is a wonderful tool, I think that nobody has
questioned whether it is appropriate for a 6th grade class. In view of the
fact that the original question reveals that the student is asking a very
low level question. I would rephrase it as "Since rotating objects make
noise, why doesn't the earth seem to make noise when it rotates". Remember
that 6th graders are most all concrete thinkers, and even 12 grade students
have only 20% exhibiting preponderantly formal reasoning ability when they
graduate. For more information see "Really Raising Standards" by Shayer and
Adey.

The only use I would make of Fourier analysis would be to use it as a tool
to show students things like how much sound is high, and how much low. Some
home audio systems have displays that show how much energy is in various
frequency bands, or they do a crude Fourier analysis. Students in 6th grade
need to do experiments where they can readily comprehend what is being
measured and how it is being measured. There is also the question as to
whether this tool can be made available in the particular classroom.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX