Re: TIDES, pedagogy.

In Feynman's "The Character of Physical Law," there is a nice brief
discussion of tides on pages 11 and 12 with both the physical concepts and
historical context discussed.

Dr. Lawrence D. Woolf; General Atomics

Also in his famous 'Lectures' volume I, 7-4. He uses both of the
blasphemous
terms 'bulges' AND 'centerfugal force' in his apostacy. I wish he had
worked
'heat' in there, too. Nice picture of the bulges, too.

Dan '666' M

Dan MacIsaac, Assistant Professor of Physics and Astronomy, Northern AZ Univ
Note that in the Lecture (volume I, 7-4), Feynman write the term as
"centrifugal force" - in quotes. Later, in chapter 12, page 11, he
discusses centrifugal force as a pseudo force, clarifying his use of quotes.

I'm not sure what's wrong with bulges.

It seems to me that his discussion in 'Character' is appropriate for his
audience - the mark of a good teacher.

Larry