Re: TIDES, pedagogy.

... how to explain the phenomenon in introductory
courses. Arguments based on vector calculus can not be used
in such courses;
Can this question be answered without using advanced calculus?
I do not think so.

Let's not give up just yet.

I have been trying to develop such an introductory activity for my own
students; a prototype exists (my students have been working on this project
with me) at: <http://purcell.phy.nau.edu/SeatExpts/mechanic/gravtide/>

We have a few more revisions of the language to go through; the solution
key in particular is currently in student language as they interpreted from
their conversations from me. I hope to use as much student language as I can
in the final version. I had actually expected my students to leap forward
with 'Saturn's Rings' in describing the Roche limit, but that didn't seem
to happen

I have deliberately simplified the situation for the activity and need to
append some warnings regarding the simplifications to the activity as well.

Comments, either by private email or list postings are appreciated.

Dan M

Dan MacIsaac, Assistant Professor of Physics and Astronomy, Northern AZ Univ
danmac@nau.edu http://purcell.phy.nau.edu PHYS-L list owner