Re: double tide cause

At 13:56 03 09 2001 , you wrote:
John, there are oceans and there are seas. All the earth's oceans are
larger than any of the its seas. Among the seas, the Gulf of Mexico is the
fifth largest, as I said. It is 54% the size of the largest sea, the
Mediterranean. I objected to your assertion that the Gulf is "fairly
small" in the context of explaining the height of tides on seashores, not on
ocean shores.

I repeat: the "size" of the oscillating body doesn't matter nearly as much
as its natural frequency. And for those of you who are enjoying this
disputation, please note that the oceans are not homogenous bodies of
water: the Atlantic has a ridge which wanders sort of mid ocean; the
Pacific has numerous ridges which divide up the ocean into smaller
oscillating "chambers". And that the tides are fairly large in the tiny
North Sea. In the tiny Bay of Funday they are huge! In the Black Sea the
tides are large and move in a CIRCULAR pattern. In the South Atlantic the
tides are small and move NORTH. There are places in the Indian Ocean where
the tides move EAST!!! In the Pacific -- well take your pick; there they
are small and large and move every which a way -- there are SIX amphidromic
nodes where there are NO tides.

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com
http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen