Re: double tide cause

At 19:38 9/1/01 -0500, Mark Kossover asks:
Howdy-

I am not saying that anyone's explanation doesn't make sense. What I am
saying is that I don't get it. Why should the north coast of the Gulf have
tiny tides, and why should half of the tides be very small to non-existant?

Why should smaller bodies of water have smaller tides?

I have read the archives but the situation remains opaque to me. Perhaps I
just don't have enough background to get it.

Marc "Zeke" Kossover

I expect Marc is relatively unsurprised when the 1 day weather forecast
is contradicted by events. If asked why that should be, I imagine he
could find many good reasons why the expected weather did not materialize.

Yet faced with a simple predictive model for tides of a similar type
used for weather prediction he, along with Jim, and doubtless others,
is visibly disturbed.
They exclaim: It just isn't so! The books are wrong.

We need to accept that real life is messy, even for physicists.
That tides involve the bulk transport of liquid - and where that
transport is baulked, we see different, or lesser, or even no effects.

That on a real Earth, there are not tidy meridional waves sweeping
the Earth but rather, a multitude of effects that disturb the simplicity
of the basic model. That when the modest ocean tidal range hits the shelving
coasts, wave heights can multiply. That enclosed basins can show circulating
swirls. That's the way it is: messy!

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net> Altus OK
Eureka!