Re: double tide cause

Howdy-

From: John S. Denker, To: PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu, Sent: 9/1/01 3:55 PM

What's the evidence for a once-a-day tide? Evidence available to me
indicates nothing but the usual twice-a-day tide, e.g.
http://www.cyberangler.com/weather/tide_correction_st_petersburg.html
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fish/recreat/fishrept/tidetab.htm

Check out <http://www.offshoreweather.com/new_respond.asp?Place=grand+isle>.
It only shows one tide for Grand Isle, LA. Mobile, AL also has only one tide
per day.

The ones for Galveston, Texas are pretty weird as well. One of the low tides
is only a bare attenuation of the high tide.

I am not saying that anyone's explanation doesn't make sense. What I am
saying is that I don't get it. Why should the north coast of the Gulf have
tiny tides, and why should half of the tides be very small to non-existant?

Relatively large? Relative to the ocean, it's not large at all.

Why should smaller bodies of water have smaller tides?

I have read the archives but the situation remains opaque to me. Perhaps I
just don't have enough background to get it.

Marc "Zeke" Kossover