Re: TIDES, was Asteroid Problem

"Paul O. Johnson" wrote:

Ludwik, I don't understand your second sentence: "In this case . .. "
Furthermore, I don't understand your argument about the asteroid
one earth-diameter away. What direction wrt the earth-moon line
are you assuming the asteroid is located?

1) One word was lost in the second sentence; see the corrected
version below.
2) Clearly, I am not the only one who needs some tutoring on
tides. JohnD made a useful contributions but not enough.
3) On my picture the point-like asteroid was located on the
horizontal line passing through the center of the earth.

Our moon is about 30 earth-diameters away. In this case
HORIZONTAL components of forces exerted on any little
part of our planet are very small in comparison with
perpendicular components (on my picture where the
moon-earth line is horizontal). Thus lunar tidal forces
(gradient of F) are essentially horizontal (on my picture).
But this would not be so for an asteroid located only one
earth-diameter away from the center of our planet. Would
the vertical force components reduce the tidal effect?

Stephen Muray referred to the the 1/r^3 tidal effect; I was
under the impression that this is true only when the tidal
source (asteroid) is far away from us (with respect to the
earth diameter). I hope to learn more about this (and
about bulge being a little larger than another) under the
current tread. I no longer think that an m=10^20 asteroid,
located two or three diameters away can produce tides as
strong as those caused by moon or sun. Recall that this
was the issue several days ago. That is why I changed
the subject line above.
Ludwik Kowalski