Re: Indirect high tide cause?

At 10:36 9/1/01 -0400, Herb Gottlieb wrote:

>When the sun and the moon are on the same side of the earth there is a
>very very high tide at that point (Spring Tide).
>
>However, an equally high tide occurs on the opposite side of the earth.
>All of the explanations that I have been able to find explain the causes
>of this indirect high tide. But they fail to explain why the level of the
>direct high tide and the indirect high tides have exactly the same level
>at given points on opposite sides of the earth.

Herb, the Great Newton notwithstanding -- This not an accurate picture of
the ocean tides -- eg the high waters on opposite sides of the Earth do NOT
occur at the same time nor are they equal in magnitude.

I invite you to look at my WWW page for a further explanation.

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com
http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen