Course on Performance Spaces

Hello, Phys-l?ers

After a 10-year hiatus, 5 years of which were an administrative leave, I?ve
subscribed again to the phys-l listserv primarily to ask the following
QUESTION:

In the fall of 2002 I will be teaching in London with my wife, an English
Professor. She will be teaching about London theater (Theatre), and I?ve agreed to teach a related course for students not majoring in science. The title would be something like ?Exploring Performance Spaces through
Physics.? I?m just beginning to think about creating this course.

Has anybody out there taught a course like this, or a physics course for
theater majors? Or does anyone have suggestions for topics that might be
relevant to such a course? My course would be general enough to include
concert halls, but it has to include drama as well. Right away I?ve
thought of discussing acoustics, and perhaps color mixing as applied to
theater lighting. But I?m looking for other ideas. I?d be grateful for
any thoughts you have.

Bruce Richards
Oberlin College Physics Department