Thermodynamics

Could I get a few comments on the following phrase which I believe I heard
from a professor some years back in a stat. mech/thermo class:
(loosely quoted)
"In a container filled with a gas there is no reason that all of the air
molecules couldn't rush to one side of the container, filling half of it and
leaving the other half in a vacuum.  We just never see this happen (it is
statistically too improbable)."

and then

"This is similar to saying that in a game of pool, after the 'break' all of
the balls could end up in the exact same place as they started.  We never see
this happen as it is too improbable."

Thanks

Justin Parke