Re: Assessment; evaluation of GRE scores

I must praise what John Denker wrote below. Is there something we can do
about this situation?

My call to the AIP statistics division was not able to get the US average
physics GRE score. It is apparently not known. Apparently they are not
studying this problem. The only statistics available show that in the years
1993 to 1999 international students studying graduate physics in the US
declined 10.5% while the corresponding US students decreased 40.1%. US
physics graduate students are less than 50% of the total now. If the US GRE
average is something like in the 35th percentile then these low scores could
be a factor in discouraging US students from attending graduate school in
physics. The same could happen unfairly to any student or group of
international students who took the test by the rules. Low GRE scores lead
to decreased graduate school opportunities.

This also seems unfair to physics teachers who spend years teaching their
students how to think and the general subject of physics, only to have their
students outclassed by students who are given test questions to "learn".

There is one problem on gravity that I saw on the GRE test but no where else
in many years of teaching. Should I teach my students this problem and
others like it because of the high probability of them seeing these problems
on the GRE or should I teach them general principles and how to think? I
prefer the latter and I resent the test rewarding the former since I
consider it a lesser accomplishment even aside from its moral implications.

Thus it seems that if physics teachers obtain test materials from previous
test takers and distributed them, the students who have them will do much
better on the GRE physics test. If you do not do this and others do, then
your students will do worse. If you use GRE scores for assessment, you will
rate poorer than you deserve. Is there something we can do about this
situation?

Jim Peters
Hillsdale College