Re: Digital Cameras and Scanners

Thanks for the information on the Kodak line.

I am in the market and looking.

I have seen and heard a lot of good reviews, both private and professional for
the Olympus 490 digital camera for $300 to $400. 2.1 megapixel and it can
capture short video segments.

Cheers,

Rick Swanson

--
Richard E. Swanson, Ph.D. (910) 695-3715
Professor of Physics FAX: (910) 695-1823

Larry Cartwright wrote:

You don't say how much money you have to work with, which can make a lot
of difference when you are looking at digital cameras.

My philosophy was to buy a cheap scanner so I could afford a slightly
better camera. Even then, I could only go for a low-midrange priced
camera ($300 range plus another $100 for some accessories).

My Hewlett-Packard ScanJet 3300C cost less than $100 and does quite a
nice job, but it's slow. You probably ought to check out the ZDNET
ratings, part of the ZD publishing empire, at
<http://www.zdnet.com/special/filters/sc/scanner/>. They are
recommending the Microtek Lab ScanMaker V6UPL at about $125 as a "best
buy".

Important: Invest in really good graphics software to go with your
scanner and camera. Paint Shop Pro is available for less than $100.

I spent a lot of hours reviewing digital cams, and I believe the KODAK
line of digital cameras gives the most bang for your buck. I have a
DC215 which is a 1 Megapixel cam with 2X optical zoom, 20cm close-up and
CompactFlash memory chip. Built like a rock, 299 bucks. I think the
optical zoom and close-up capability are both *essential* for scientific
and technical work. You definitely want an AC power supply for your
camera, as even the best batteries lose their charge quickly.

If I had the resources I would get a DC4800. Right now Kodak will sell
you a reconditioned DC4800 with an "expansion bundle" of accessories for
$499. 3 Mexapixels, 3X optical zoom, 20 cm close-up, sophisticated
controls. The DC3600 is a 2 Megapixel, 2X zoom, 28 cm close-up cam that
also does .MOV movies with audio; that's a lot of goodies for $450.

Hope this helps,

Larry

Larry Cartwright, Retired Physics Teacher
Charlotte MI 48813 USA <exit60@ia4u.net>

George Goth wrote:

Our physics department has received a small grant to fund the production
of Internet accessible lab manuals. Parts of this grant are for the
purchases of a digital camera and a scanner. I would like to ask the
members of this list if there are any particular models that they would
recommend for purchase (or, alternatively, to avoid). The camera would
be used largely to photograph equipment; the scanner to scan graphs,
circuit diagrams and so forth. Both would be interfaced with a Macintosh
computer.