Digital Cameras and Scanners

Our physics department has received a small grant to fund the production
of Internet accessible lab manuals. Parts of this grant are for the
purchases of a digital camera and a scanner. I would like to ask the
members of this list if there are any particular models that they would
recommend for purchase (or, alternatively, to avoid). The camera would
be used largely to photograph equipment; the scanner to scan graphs,
circuit diagrams and so forth. Both would be interfaced with a Macintosh
computer.