Assessment; evaluation of GRE scores

Greetings.

Our Physics department is being asked to "assess" how well we are
doing in educating our students. We're new at this, and so I would
seek suggestions:

a) We'd like to track how our students are doing comparted to the
national undergraduate population, and we hoped to use GRE scores to
do so. However, the population that takes GRE's includes many
graduate students. Does anyone out there know a way (even an
approximate, rule-of-thumb way) to convert GRE scores to a rating
vis-a-vis other undergraduate students?

b) Would anyone like to share their tricks on assessment? A
questionnaire you've used for graduates? Particular focal lengths
that prove useful when throwing smoke-and-mirrors at the evaluators?

I'm glad to take answers at my individual address, but I suspect that
other folks might be interested in hearing answers.

John