Re: I Don't Have to Use Windows

"Shapiro, Mark" wrote:

Dear James,

The X-windows system is the underlying graphical user interface that is used
with Linux; however, there are a number of more sophisticated GUI's that
have been developed to work with the X-windows system in Linux. The two
most commonly used today are GNOME and KDE, both of which look a lot like
the Windows GUI.

To me a GUI is a GUI is a GUI. I don't much care whether I'm running
Windows, MAC, GNOME or KDE - they all do pretty much the same thing from
a user's point of view. One thing to point out about GNOME and KDE
however is that this is not to say we have different streams of software
in Linux. These (and other) desktop environments are built off of
X-windows, so the underlying functionality is the same. It doesn't
matter whether a program is written under GNOME or KDE, it will run
under either. In fact, my GNOME menu has a branch which is the KDE menu
and vice versa. I can even pull up the desktop manager for one from the
other and reconfigure the other desktop.

One feature I wish was in Windows desktops is the ability to make up an
MxN grid of screens. I can scroll from screen to screen or choose them
from a map. Each screen can be running its own applications, and in the
case of KDE with its own backgrounds and possibly screensavers (I don't
recall this for sure).

Doug Craigen
http://www.dctech.com/physics/about_dc.html