Re: floating a destroyer

At 6:00 PM -0400 8/1/01, Hugh Haskell wrote:
As usual with these "factoids" on cereal boxes, or other boxes,
someone got the whole thing so bolixed up that it is hard to figure
out what they meant. But, by looking at the problem (entitled
"battleship in a bathtub" as I recall) in Epstein's book, one can
easily see that, in principle, there is no lower limit to the amount
of water needed to "float" a destroyer.

I posit that there are plenty of lower limits, the greatest of which is zero.

Larry

I'll agree that I used sloppy limit-language if you'll tell me how
you get negative quantities of water.

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell