Re: I Don't Have to Use Windows

Mark Shapiro wrote:

... From the user's
point-of-view there is essentially no difference between Linux and Unix.
However, the kernel of the Linux operating system was written
independently of the AT&T Unix software, and is in the public domain.

I have a question about this (never having been exposed to Linux, but
being curious).

As far as I know, the only (common) way for UNIX to have a GUI is by
using X Windows (completely unrelated to Mac OS X). Does Linux use X
Windows for its GUI, or does it have something else.

--
Dr. James McLean phone: (716) 245-5897
Dept. of Physics and Astronomy FAX: (716) 245-5288