Re: A problem

ok, NOW I understand.

How silly of me to not realize that we beginning students must ASSUME
the correct answer in order to figure out how to arrive at it!!!!!
;-)

At 7:50 PM +0530 8/3/01, Surendranath, you wrote about Re: A problem:

> Can we easily see HOW MUCH closer to the the front edge the normal
> force is? _*I*_ can't!

Angular momentum about the specified axis is mva/2( a is the side of the
cube, v is the instantaneous velocity) and its rate of change is -kmga/2 (k
coefficient of friction). Torques( about the specified axis) of mg is mgx
and of N is -mg(x+d) {d is the distance between lines of action of mg and N
and x is the instatnataneous postion}
Net torque -mgd =-kmga/2 gives d=ka/2;
distance from front edge is a/2-d;

--