Re: A problem- Another approach

Could this problem be viewed similar to the problem of disappearnace of the linear momentum. Moreover, if we reagrd the cube and the earth as one system (cube is interacting with the earth via the table) the sum of the cube+earth angular momentum would be conserved even as the cube comes to rest.

-Hasan

<<< rueckner@FAS.HARVARD.EDU 8/ 1 9:47a >>>
Here is a question about which I request list members comments.

A uniform cube with a edge 'a' rests on a horizontal plane whose
friction coefficient equals 'k'. The cube is set in motion with an
initial velocity, travels some distance over the plane and comes to
rest. Explain the disappearance of the angular momentum of the
cube relative to an axis lying in the plane at right angles to the
cube's direction of motion.

regards,

sarma.

the frictional force supplies a torque which changes the angular momentum
Wolfgang