Re: Flashlight

Ludwik,

I enjoyed reading your draft explanation. I think I'll borrow from it
in my Physical Science class. I have two suggestions:

(1) In the water flow analogy, express the quantity of water in volume
units (gallons) rather than mass units (kilograms). Later on if you
want to continue the analogy in RLC circuits you will draw analogs
between inductance and mass. This might confuse your students if you've
already used mass for the analog of charge.

(2) In your power example, use flashlight battery voltage (1.5 V)
rather than household voltage (120 V). You've already introduced them
to flashlight batteries -- why not stick with them?

Overall, it's a good piece.

Paul O. Johnson

--- Ludwik Kowalski <kowalskiL@MAIL.MONTCLAIR.EDU> wrote:
As a pedagogical exercise I plan to create several short essays on
basic ideas
of electricity and magnetism. The draft of the first item is on my
web site at:

http://alpha.montclair.edu/~kowalskiL/electr/flash.html

Critical comments and suggestions will be appreciated, either openly
or in
private. The paragraphs have been numbered to facilitate comments.

Ludwik KowalskiL ---> kowalskiL@mail.montclair.edu