Re: Flashlight

Howdy-

From: Ludwik Kowalski [mailto:kowalskiL@MAIL.MONTCLAIR.EDU] Sent: Tuesday,
July 31, 2001 2:23 PM

The first formula which came to my mind was P=F*v. But is
it really a good analogy for the P=U*I ? Probably not. What
would be a better analogy, at the level of my description?

Why not continue the physical analogy?

Gravitational potential energy = mass x strength of gravity x the vertical
displacement. The amount of charge (or water) moved is simply the mass. The
other two terms are wrapped up together in the single term of voltage. It is
easy to imagine how voltage can combine how hard it is to raise water in a
place and how far the water was raised. So, the energy of a circuit would be
how many charged were moved x how hard it was to move them.

The power in the electrical circuit is the same as it is in the mechanical
circuit. It is the energy divided by the time. E /t = (q / t)x V, and q / t
= I. So, P = I V.

QED. Wait, qEd=U. Hey, that's what I've been saying.

Marc Kossover
mkossover@newman.k12.la.us

"Teaching is five shows a day" -- Dema Harriman Solberg