Re: Old Computers

----- Original Message -----
From: "John S. Denker" <jsd@MONMOUTH.COM>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: Monday, July 30, 2001 10:51 AM
Subject: Re: Old Computers

At 09:45 AM 7/30/01 -0500, Rick Tarara wrote:
What does competition in the office apps get you? Chaos.

That statement is mistaken and highly misleading. It is nearly 180
degrees
diametrically backwards.

Theory: Insurgents have every reason to be compatible with the market
leader. If they introduce an incompatibility, you should assume it's
accidental. The monopolist, in contrast, has every reason to churn things
in order to introduce incompatibilities.

You might think so, but we have PLENTY of trouble with WordPerfect and Word
incompatibilities. In John's perfect world there would be no real market
leader (or it might keep changing), so on what do you standardize?
Regulated monopolies can be quite efficient and effective. (At least if
they hadn't broken up Ma Bell we wouldn't be inundated by commercials,
mailing, e-mails, and tele-marketers trying to get us to change carriers!
;-)

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Department of Chemistry & Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN 46556
219-284-4664
rtarara@saintmarys.edu

FREE Physics Instructional Software
http://www.saintmarys.edu/~rtarara

Win9.x, WinNT/2000, Win3.x, Dos, Mac, and PowerMac
New: Photo-realistic lab simulations (Windows only)
Windows and Mac CD-ROMs now available.