From: Tucker Hiatt
Sent: Monday, July 23, 2001 9:24 AM
Subject: Re: Muscle work

I've explained why this question bugs me. (Although Tim Folkerts
recent posting has helped considerably. Thanks!) Please let me also
explain why it bugs my students.
Often, the muscle motion under examination is repetitive. Push-ups
and pull-ups are particular favorites. I instruct the students to
complete each half-cycle of their exercise at constant speed, if
possible. (And I acknowledge that we are ignoring the work done
during turn-around times.) This means that a student does work
during the downstroke as well as during the upstroke. On the
upstroke of a constant-speed pull-up, the average muscle force
applied is roughly the student's weight. On the constant speed
downstroke, however, the average muscle force is ...??? Mustn't it
also be the student's weight? And therefore the (magnitude of the)
work done is the same? Doesn't that vivify the question: Why do the
upstroke and downstroke FEEL different?