Re: E-M fields health risks

On Sat, 21 Jul 2001, Doug Craigen wrote:

Bernard Cleyet wrote:

what's the skin depth for mag. fields @ 60 Hz. through saline (the mother
including the amniotic fluid)?

cm or meters?

Skin depth wouldn't be an applicable quantity here.

Skin depth tells you the thickness of conductor needed for shielding
constant-frequency fields, be they radiation or nearfield (such as the
alternating b-field near a power line.)

I don't remember where I found the equation last, but if I recall, skin
depth for a good conductor (copper) at 60Hz was on the order of
millimeters, so power lines a few cm in diamter will have far less current
in the center. FOr a weak concentration salt water, it would be much
deeper, so I would speculate that the outside of your body does not
significantly shield the inside.

billb@eskimo.com http://www.amasci.com
Seattle, WA 206-789-0775 freenrg-L taoshum-L vortex-L webhead-L