Re: Blood Pressure

John Gastineau wrote:
>I recently asked an emergency physician about the necessity of
taking
>blood pressures while the patient is in a particular position.

>The original discussion included many laments about the poor
physics
>understanding of physicians. While true, that many don't know as
much
>physics as they should (see laser story below) they do seem to have
>thorough knowledge of what works.

After finishing giving blood to the Red Cross (while in a prone position), I
have always been asked to raise the donation arm straight up (while still
lying prone) and hold a piece of gauze over the puncture until all bleeding
has stopped. Never have they asked me to lower my arm or rest it on the cot
that I am lying on. Presumably, the lower blood pressure in the elevated
arm makes it easier for the body to seal the still open wound. While I've
never asked the nurse for an explanation of the physics involved, she
clearly knew what worked best to stop the bleeding in the shortest time.

Donald G. Polvani
Northrop Grumman Corporation
Oceanic and Naval Systems
PO Box 1488, MS 9910