Re: Bobs for Lenz's law apparatus

At 11:21 AM 7/7/01 -0500, Paul O. Johnson wrote:
The Science Place has set up an exhibit based on the Lenz's law demo from
Sargent Welch. It consists of two 1-in. ID, 3-ft long tubes -- one
aluminum and one clear plastic, hanging from spring scales. The explorer
drops two visually identical bobs -- one magnetic and one not magnetic. --
down the tubes. Both bobs fall normally in the plastic tube, and the
non-magnetic bob falls normally in the aluminum tube. But the magnetic bob
falls very slowly in the aluminum tube, and increases the tube's weight
while it is falling. It's very mysterious and provides an excellent
vehicle for explaining magnetic induction and Lenz's law.

Cool.

Our problem is that the little bobs have a tendency to disappear.

Uncool.

I am soliciting ideas on how to replace the bobs. They are cylindrical,
roughly 3/4-inch diameter and 2-inches long, are visually identical. If
necessary, we could use non-cylindrical bobs as long as they are visually
identical and the correct size.

Off-the-cuff initial notion: It seems that for best performance, the
magnetic bob needs to have a multitude of North and South poles.

NNNN
SSSS
NNNN
SSSS
NNNN
SSSS
NNNN
SSSS

The question is where to get something like that. Possible answer: The
magnetic seals on refrigerator doors have that property. See if you can
lay hands on some door-seal material.