[LONG...]Re: Where can I find an electrostatic series?

At 17:19 7/3/01 -0400, Eric T Lane wrote:
Where can I find an electrostatic series,
that is, how easily a substance is charged by
friction and how positive or negative it becomes?

Prof. Eric T. Lane 318 Grote Hall 423-755-4523 eric-lane@utc.edu
Physics Dept.2352, University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, TN 37403

To ascertain the collective wisdom, I tasked the oracle in this way:
[search phys-l triboelectric]
then
GETPOST PHYS-L 5417 5448 5464 5471 5474 5490 5504 5512 5527 5539
GETPOST PHYS-L 5569 9742 ...
/snip/
GETPOST PHYS-L 24395 24568 26897 31034
end

I then selected some comments, some series, some URLs and some caveats
and ended up with more, far more qualified opinion than a reasonable
person might want to digest....

From: Leigh Palmer <palmer@sfu.ca>
//
The Wimshurst machine is a self-excited electrostatic generator
in the operation of which friction (triboelectricity) plays no
fundamental role.
// The
electrophorus (and some Van de Graaffs) is an induction machine
in which the polarity may be determined by triboelectricity, but
the sustained operation of which depends solely on induction.

For triboelectricity to be an important ongoing mechanism in the
operation of an electrostatic generator there must be some
intrinsic asymmetry present.

Leigh

From: William Beaty <billb@eskimo.com>
/// several were mentioned in "Flying Circus of Physics with
answers." Several in Am. J. of Physics were mentioned there
//
The upshot: the triboelectric series is valid for contact, but not for
friction. When flat samples were passed between rollers, the polarity was
replicable, but when they were rubbed, results varied, and surface finish
then became important. There was evidence that thermal effects were
important, and when a long object was stroked across a tiny spot on
another object, polarity was different than when it was stroked along a
wide area of the second object. And in violation of conventional wisdom,
when *identical* materials but with differing roughness were rubbed
together, charge separation was significant!

From: Martha Takats <mtakats@acad.ursinus.edu>

For a table of the "triboelectric sequence", see Hecht's Physics
(Brooks-Cole 1996), p. 174.

From: kfox@shhs1.smoky.org (Ken Fox)

Triboelectric Series
(...a series of relative affinities ~
positive and negative charges)

MORE POSITIVE

rabbit's fur
glass
mica
nyIon
wool
cat's fur
silk
paper
cotton
wood
acrylic
cellophane tape
polystyrene
polyethylene
rubber balloon
saran wrap

MORE NEGATIVE

Ken Fox

From: William Beaty <billb@eskimo.com>

Here's another, http://www.eskimo.com/~billb/emotor/statelec.html

When various materials are rubbed together, which becomes positive
and which negative? Ah, you want the...

TRIBOELECTRIC SERIES

Air *
Human Hands <---- Most Positive
Asbestos
Rabbit Fur
Glass
Mica
Human Hair
Nylon
Wool
Fur
Lead
Silk
Aluminum
Paper
Cotton ZERO
Steel
Wood
Amber
Sealing Wax
Hard Rubber
Nickel, Copper
Brass, Silver
Gold, Platinum
Sulfur
Acetate, Rayon
Polyester
Styrene (Styrofoam)
Orlon
Saran
Polyurethane
Polyethylene
Polypropylene
Vinyl (PVC)
Silicon
Teflon <----- Most Negative

The above list is from NATURE'S ELECTRICITY, p63
by Charles K Adams (c)1987 Tab Books, #2769

From: msantos@etse.urv.es

How [does] symmetry make friction irrelevant?

From: Leigh Palmer <palmer@sfu.ca>
//
Asymmetric electrostatic generation by friction: rub A on B and A
always becomes positively charged while B becomes negatively charged.

Symmetric electrostatic generation by friction: rub A on A and A
sometimes becomes slightly positively charged and sometimes
negatively charged.
//
The generator may be biased initially by charging one terminal
with a cat fur rubbed hard rubber rod. That terminal will become
the negative terminal when a symmetric machine is started up.
Otherwise some small asymmetry will determine the polarity.

You should cosult a source for an explanation. "Traite' E'lementaire
d'Electricite'" by Joubert, or its translation, "Elementary Treatise
on Electricity and Magnetism" by G.C. Foster and A.W. Porter, 2ed,
Longmans, Green & Co. (1903), section 78, p 110, or "The Elements of
Electricity and Magnetism" by Franklin and MacNutt, Macmillan (1908)
are the books that come readily to hand in my office. Descriptions
of Wimshurst's machine seem to be missing from most modern texts
///
Leigh
---------------------
From: Joseph Bellina <jbellina@saintmarys.edu>
//
There are/were a variety of induction machines.
One that was very common in Europe in the last century was a Holtz
machine. It differs in appearance from the Wimshurst since it has only
one rotating plate.

From: "GARY HEMMINGER" <Hemmig@d-e.pvt.k12.nj.us>

Can anyone give a description of the exact mechanism for one of the
common effects that we see in the lab: e.g. rubber rods become
negative when rubbed with fur. My students are always curious
about this, and I while I want them to understand that there are a
few possibilities; transfer of electrons, transfer of negative ions,
transfer of positive ions, or combinations of these, I'm interested to
know exactly what is known about this.

From: Joseph Bellina <jbellina@saintmarys.edu>
/// there is no good working theory which
explains the transfer of charge due to rubbing...

From: LUDWIK KOWALSKI <KOWALSKIL@alpha.montclair.edu>

34) Triboelectricity is not caused by friction. It is caused by
intimate contact between dissimilar insulating surfaces.

----------------------
From: Joseph Bellina <jbellina@SAINTMARYS.EDU>
//
I think the presentation in Sherwood and Chabay which suggests that the
tranferred materials are ion fragments rather than electrons is probably
a more correct model. The point they make (and I really shouldn't speak
for them...look on or about page 16 of their text) is that these
materials are mostly polymers so it is easy to imagine ion fragments
being transferred.
Recent work modelling what happens when metals touch indicates that
there is material exchange

/// I see vague model statements in Hecht...
// Hecht speaks in
terms of electron transfer, Chabay and Sherwood in terms of ion
transfer...neither is very quantitative.

Hugh Haskell
wrote:

Joe, your reply sent me off to my collection of introductory physics
texts. // I did find a reference to it in Hecht's calculus-based text (p.
647, in the 1996 edition)
///this is a lab exercise we have our students (11th and
12th graders) do every year, with a few objects (Saran wrap, rabbit
fur, plastic, Scotch tape, Styrofoam, wool, and a few others). Their
task is to arrange the objects they are given in an order such that
the object at the top of the list will transfer electrons to any
object below it on the list, the one on the bottom will pick up
electrons from any one on the list above it, and those in between
will give up electrons to those below and accept electrons from those
above (I think that's the normal order). According to Hecht, this is
called a triboelectric series

From: "John S. Denker" <jsd@MONMOUTH.COM>

1) "Triboelectric" is a perfectly good word that refers to electrification
by rubbing. Since rubbing is now seen to be a somewhat peripheral issue,
the more "in" term (and the more physical term) is "contact electrification".

2) It has been known for about 200 years that, strictly speaking, there is
no such thing as a triboelectric series. Depending on the chemical and
physical state of the surfaces, I can create objects A, B, and C that obey
the nontransitive relationships
x(A,B) > 0
x(B,C) > 0
x(C,A) > 0
where x(,) designates the charge of the first object when
contact-electrified against the second. It is even possible to have two
objects D and E such that
x(D,E) > 0 if you rub gently, while
x(D,E) < 0 if you rub harder.

A related but easier-to-visualize piece of physics is this: given fixed
terminals (A1 and A2) made of absolutely identical material (A) plus a
moving part of type B, I can create a generator which uses contact
electrification to move charge from A1 to A2 at a steady rate. Does that
imply A > B > A????

3) There _is_ such a thing as a work function, which is one of several
physical properties that contribute to contact electrification. The work
function itself is hard to pin down, since it depends on the chemical and
physical history of the surface. But it can be measured, e.g. by a Kelvin
bridge (which I am told was not invented by Kelvin).

4) I don't know of an accessible pedagogical discussion of contact
electrification. It's a complicated phenomenon, but reasonably well
understood. Back when I was a grad student the kind folks at Xerox let me
pick their brains (and their library) on the subject. Mostly it's just a
combination of everyday things:
-- work function
-- capacitance
-- tunneling and/or corona