Re: "zero" gravity

I'm not sure there is a name for the case where the two massive
objects are "fixed in space," but there is for the very real
situation where two massive objects orbit each other. This is
called the "restricted three body problem"--"restricted" because
we assume that the third body is small and, therefore, only
*reacts* to the forces of the other two; it does not itself
influence the two massive bodies. In the case of perfectly
circular orbits there are five positions, known as the "Lagrange
Points," in the rotating frame at which the third body can be
placed and be in equilibrium under the combined influence of the
two primary bodies and te centrifugal force.

You will find more than you ever wanted to know by searching on
"Lagrange Points" or "Restricted three-body problem."

We regularly use "L1" as a convenient place to park solar
monitoring satellites. "L4" and "L5" are quasi-stable (under the
additional influence of the coriolis force) and these points in
the Sun-Jupiter system have accumulated a number of asteroids
called the "Trojan Asteroids." Just a day or two ago, I believe,
we launched the MAP satellite which is destined to be the first
satellite to be parked at "L2" which is permanently shaded from
the Sun by the Earth--the perfect spot to look for the weak
anisotropies in the cosmic background radiation, which is, not
surprisingly, MAP's mission.