Re: 'Tis the Season to be Noisy.

I've already reported my experiments with C2=H2??? small can ~ soup
partially buried in sand box, top removed and an inch of water, a few pebbles
of calcium carbide, then cover with a larger can open end buried (inch) in the
sand light the acetylene with a match attached to 6' bamboo pole at the hole
near top (punched with nail); 10 m hell at least 30!

Youthful exploit at Cowper and University ~ 1946 Palo Alto.

bc

Marlyn Jakub wrote:

Hi Brian,

From my youthful 4th of July days comes a similar trick with a more
spectacular flight of the can.

For a can use a soup-type "tincan" with one end cut out and the other end
having a small circular hole punched in the center where the ~5cm long
firecracker is tightly inserted and held. Before inserting the cracker, the
can is submerged into a container of water (water depth almost 10cm)...open
end down so that water fills 2/3 the can interior, leaving enough air so
that the firecracker will not become wet when inserted into the top small
hole. Insert the cracker until mainly the wick appears above the outside of
the can.

Light the wick, being careful not to place one's head in the vertical path
of the can, as the can will fly over 10 meters skyward from the explosion.
Yes, the can could damage objects in its flight path, however, the can
should be less likely to turn into flying metal fragments than the
extra-thin aluminum coke can.

Marlyn Jakub