Re: terminology: period vs. wavelength

At 03:50 PM 6/30/01 -0500, Tim Folkerts wrote:
A lawyer can find the exact definition of "grand theft auto",

Not exactly. If everybody agreed on what incidents should or should not be
classified "grand theft auto", then we would have hardly any need for
trials or trial lawyers, and even less need for courts of appeal (which
usually deal with questions of law, not questions of fact).

Biologists can't even agree on a definitive distinction between "plant" and
"animal".

What is "open-ended" about a question like "Mark the period"?

I agree that's not open-ended.....
but that's not the question that started this sub-thread!