Re: are normal reaction and tension conservative ?

At 12:52 PM -0400 6/30/01, Geoff Nunes, you wrote about there is no
such thing as a "non-conservative" force:

Really, there is no such thing as a "non-conservative" force. As far as
we know, all four fources in nature (gravity, electromagnetism, strong,
and weak) are completely conservative.

Back in the late '60's, some dude named Goldstein had a text book on
Classical Mechanics that left me with the IMPRESSION that any
velocity dependent force is non-conservative.

When presenting magnetic forces (QvB) to neophytes we say that no
work is done since the force is normal to the displacement. (When
DOES the radiative component enter into our curriculum?)

(I can also say the words 'holonomic(sp), scleronimous(sp)
constraints' but couldn't BEGIN to explain the words)
--