Re: are normal reaction and tension conservative ?

Ok, now you know that subject lines are not always displayed
entirely in lists of messages. And some people go directly to
contents of messages (ignoring the junk above).

Are normal reaction and tension conservative ?

We say that a gravitational force is conservative because
the work done by it is zero along a closed path. A normal
force (a rigid floor acting on a rigid block) does not do any
work because it becomes zero as soon as your man starts
pushing it upward. I would say that the term "conservative"
is not applicable in this case.
Ludwik Kowalski

Chetan wrote:

Consider the case of a plank (with a block on it ) at rest on the floor.
the work done by normal reaction is zero.

Now imagine a man pushes the plank upward with an acceleration.
Now the work done by normal reaction is nonzero.

can normal reaction in the second case be considered non conservative.

A similar situation is the case of a body at the lower end of a rope being
pulled vertically upward by a man moving the upper end. could we label
tension as non conservative?

Chetan wrote:

I think it depends on what forces are causing the normal reaction and
tension(like when two masses are hanging on the opposite sides of a
pulley
then the tension in th rope is due to gravity which is a conservative
force
and so the tension is conservative).

Is this right?