Re: Photo Image out of focus

Let us consider a simple case, a source (object) is a set of four
equidistant points along a line segment. Or, to be more realistic,
it is a set of four segments. Under proper focusing the image
would consist of 20 distinct small circles forming a grid. But
the lens was not focused and each circle is very large. The 20
circles overlap very significantly and the intensity distribution
is a rectangular blab with round corners.

An observer wants to determine the distribution of sources in
the image plane. Under what condition would s/he be able to
determine that the number of point-like sources was 20 and
the distances between them were 3 cm, for example? Let
assume that there are no aberrations, that the thin lens focal
distance is known and that the thin lens formula is applicable.

To deconvolute the blab (to say what the intensity distribution
would be if the lens were positioned properly) one must know
the "rule of the convolution", for example,

1) A point object produces a circle of 3 mm on the film.
2) A point object produces a circle of 5 mm on the film.
2) A point object produces a circle of 7 mm on the film.

Each of these rules would produce a different answer
about the true distribution of sources in the object plane.

The rule of the convolution would be easy to establish
if the distance from the image plane to the lens (s) and
the distance from the lens to the film (p) were known.
Without this information the unique deconvolution would
be impossible, in my opinion.

Suppose that a tree, located further away, happened to
be photographed correctly. The photographer knows
from where the picture was taken, where the tree is and
where the students were. This information should be
sufficient to establish the rule of the convolution, at least
in principle. Once this rule is known the deconvolution
should be possible, provided some additional information
is available.

For example, is the even distribution of darkness in the
center of the blab (if it is established by using a
densitometer) due to the fact that all light bulbs were
identical and equidistant? Maybe yes and maybe no.

A periodic structure in the distribution of darkness would
help a lot but this would mean that the defocusing was not
very strong. Under strong defocusing, and in the absence
of additional information, the distribution of light bulbs in
the object plane (and how do we know they were in the
same object plane) seems to be impossible to me.

In my initial reply additional information was labeled as
subjective. An objective deconvolution should depend
only on what is measured, or on what is stated in a
particular problem. I am not sure the objective-subjective
terminology was appropriate; it would be appropriate
only if additional information was based on guessing.
Ludwik Kowalski

"John S. Denker" wrote:

Jeff Weitz asked:
Is there an optical solution to the focus problem?