Re: Photo Image out of focus

I looked through undergrad notes more than a generation old,
without finding the photo image correction example that I wanted
to share. So I need to speak from memory, and I will be glad if
what I say can be corrected, or updated with more recent technique.

The approach discussed then, depended on detailed knowledge of the image
distortion introduced by the original image generating method.
A 2-dimensional array is generated of digital values of the original
image. And a 2-dimensional array is produced
from (say) the distorted image of a point source through the same
defocussed camera.
The two arrays are convoluted (I say 'convolved') together so as to
produce an array which evaluates the intensity of a point source
from the spread representation of this point at all positions on
the image. You will recall that the Fourier transform of a point
is an array of infinite extent in two dimensions, so the computational
chore could formerly occupy a mainframe for more than trivial time;
in other words, a fast Pentium would be needed to handle the
computation now.

I probably glossed over the numerical massaging involved somewhat.
Applications to spy satellite imagery remediation are so obvious I
expect some relevant research is not on the open shelf.
So the answer to the question, 'is there a purely optical method?'
is, 'I don't think so....'

Brian