Re: solar neutrinos

In a message dated 6/19/01 3:19:46 PM Eastern Daylight Time, jlu@HEP.ANL.GOV
writes:

<< For those who haven't already heard, the first results from the Sudbury
Neutrino Observatory were released yesterday. Comparing their results
to those from Super-Kamiokande, they find a 3.3-sigma difference between
the charged-current neutrino flux (sensitive only to nu_e) and the
elastic scattering flux (which is also somewhat sensitive to the other
flavors). The difference is presumably due to oscillation of electron
neutrinos into another flavor. The inferred total neutrino flux is
completely consistent with solar models.

You can read the press release and download the paper (submitted to PRL)
at <http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/sno/first_results/>.

Dan >>
I looking over this paper. It appears that these preliminary results support
the idea that the solar electrons are oscillating to muon and tau neutrinos
rather than sterile neutrinos. However in looking at their data, they seem to
getting a higher percentage of non electron neutrinos as compared to other
sites, where I believe 50 percent is about the norm. Am I correct in
interpreting their data to indicate that about 66 percent non electron
neutrinos are being observed? I am looking for a sanity check here.

Bob Zannelli