Re: 4/3 problem resolution/Action-reaction paradox in pdf format

On Tue, 19 Jun 2001 08:41:27 -0700, David Rutherford
<drutherford@SOFTCOM.NET> wrote:

On Tue, 19 Jun 2001 10:58:13 -0400, Chuck Britton <britton@NCSSM.EDU>
wrote:

At 10:54 PM -0700 6/18/01, David Rutherford, you wrote about Re: 4/3
problem resolution/Action-reaction paradox in p:

This does not make a frame inertial!

If the two electrons are initially travelling at constant speeds

Sorry, I forgot to say that the speeds are also equal in magnitude.

in opposite
directions (which they are in the CM frame) and the net forces on them are
zero at all times, then the center of mass is inertial. Why do you disagree
with that?

Bob, I'm surprised at you :-). This is high school stuff. In the absence
of
external forces, since the net change in the momenta of the particles is
zero in the CM frame, the motion of the center of mass of the particles
is
constant (or zero), i.e., inertial.

Please feel free to ignore this intrusion into your discussion.

I dunno if this comment is relevant to the present exchange - BUT,
I've got to wonder if there is an assumption here (explicit or
implicit) that the net charge of the (relevant) universe is zero.

I'm just assuming that the electrons are isolated from any external forces.
They are an isolated system of two particles. I take it you've never heard
of an isolated system of particles, before. It's very common to consider
this kind of situation in physics.

--
Dave Rutherford
"New Transformation Equations and the Electric Field Four-vector"

If
so, then the 'field lines' of these two electrons are securely
attached to some (+) charge whose motion is unknown.

If the net charge of the 'relevant' universe IS unbalanced, what CAN
we say about the E field(s) of these electrons????

--
.-