Re: Eratosthenes and plumb bobs

I remember (incorrectly?) L. da V. coming to some conclusion about the shape
of the earth as the result of viewing a Lunar eclipse. What was it? (I
suppose this applies to the moon and solar eclipse also.)

bc

P.s. this I'm more certain about: He (also?) said that earth shine was the
reason one can see (dimly) the rest of a crescent moon.