Re: 4/3 problem resolution/Action-reaction paradox in pdf format

On Mon, 18 Jun 2001 13:56:16 -0700, David Rutherford
<drutherford@SOFTCOM.NET> wrote:

On Mon, 18 Jun 2001 10:51:55 -0400, Bob Sciamanda <trebor@VELOCITY.NET>

wrote:

David,
Sorry, in my haste I did not notice the words "both frames" in your post
(below). The general proof shows that momentum is conserved in inertial
frames. We do not expect momentum to be conserved in non-inertial frames.

Are you saying that the momentum of the particles+fields is not
conserved in non-inertial frames?

You also wrote:
I'm aware of the traditional explanation, but no one has yet shown me
that the momentum of particles plus fields is conserved in both
frames, for the specific cases I gave.

The general proof exists in standard E/M texts (Jackson, Panofsky &
Phillips, etc)

These texts refer to the volume integral of e_0(ExB) as representing the
total field momentum. But, as has been shown (by Feynman and others),
this alone doesn't represent the total field momentum ( refer to
http://www.softcom.net/users/der555/elecmass.pdf ). Therefore, the
general proofs you refer to don't hold up.

You can see the correct energy-momentum conservation law in section 18,
"The Energy-Momentum tensor", Eq. (18.4) at

http://www.softcom.net/users/der555/newtransform.pdf

--
Dave Rutherford
"New Transformation Equations and the Electric Field Four-vector"