Re: Pre-med physics in practice

Jim's response is cast in oracular form. I too divine that all
is not quite pukka. Let's see how the 'comfort zone arm position
is inconsequential' proposition holds up.

The vertical cuff variation possible in a comfort zone is probably
no more than 20 cm. If blood were no more dense than water,
the atmosphere would support a column about 10.3 meters high, or
in pressure terms used in the field, an atmospheric pressure of
760 mm Hg is a comparison with the 120/80 mmHg blood pressure
pulses often seen. A variation in head of 20cm water gage can be
represented as a pressure variation of 15 mmHg in these units.

If this pressure variation were all applied to a reading, a respectable
result of 120/80 might become 135/95 which would be cause for alarm.

We have a physician's word that this effect does not occur. Why not?
Two possible factors come to mind:
homeostasis - a mechanism for regulating blood tension. As far as I know,
this control is slow acting, and acts at the systemic level.

So, the explanation may be related to a characteristic of the
vascular system. Some non linear elastic behavior of the blood
vessels may accomodate pressure drops by constricting.
J.E Gordon certainly warns us that latex-like behavior of the
blood vessels would make aneurysms frequent.

The negative feedback cannot be perfect - the observation of
dizziness when standing up suddenly from a seated position is
attributed to reduced blood pressure after all.

But this is as far as I can evaluate the proposition until my
automatic sphygmomanometer is repaired.

Brian Whatcott