Re: Fuel Cells and "green" energy

I believe that it is a BIG jump from using solar and wind as peak energy-use
supplements to relying on these sources as THE MAIN energy sources (as some
environmental groups would have it.) As long as we maintain our coal, gas,
and nuclear plants then wind and solar can be used to avoid building more
plants. The question is, what happens when we finally agree to CO2 limits
or when the natural gas and petroleum either run out or become too damn
expensive to use? That's when we have to talk about renewables providing
most if not all of our energy demands. In the 'GreenPeace' model (only wind
and solar) you then need a 3000 fold increase in wind and solar (at today's
demand which will have increased due to population increases) and that is
using the wind and solar directly. In a model that eliminates gas and oil
and limits coal to 15-25% of total energy production, you pretty much have
to ramp up the wind and solar to about 50% or more (with hydro, geothermal,
and biomass making up the rest). At those percentages you will need a major
storage technique.

If hydrogen is used in a thermodynamic cycle, then I think my factor of 4
holds for each kWh provided. With more efficient systems it will still be a
factor of 2-3 kWh generated for each kWh actually delivered to consumers.
Granted that some of the wind/solar can be delivered directly but probably
not all that much for the eastern third of the U.S. I'm really only saying
that this needs to be factored into the cost estimates for renewable systems
so that the consumer/taxpayer is not 'surprised' by the final bill.

Here in the Midwest, we are still paying less than $.10/kWh with no peak
hour increases, at least to consumers. Let me suggest that it is a
difficult task to ask consumers to lower their usage during these times
because this IS when they are getting home, preparing meals, cooling down or
heating up their homes (with their efficient programmable thermostats),
turning on lights because night is falling, etc. It will probably take a
lot more in the way of staggered work shifts (much as is done in DC to ease
the traffic problems) to really redistribute the energy use (and we're
primarily talking ELECTRICAL use here) more uniformly over the day.

I'm also curious as to what happen to these solar panels on roofs during
hail storms and during typical northern winters!

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Associate Professor of Physics
Department of Chemistry & Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN 46556
219-284-4664
rtarara@saintmarys.edu

FREE Physics Instructional Software
www.saintmarys.edu/~rtarara

Win9.x, WinNT/2000, Win3.x, Dos, Mac, and PowerMac
New: Updated versions of the Energy Simulators
Windows and Mac CD-ROMs now available.