Re: Denmark and wind generation

Dan,

I did use the wrong figure--accidentally used electrical production number
rather than electrical use--Denmark must export considerable electricity.

From the 2001 Encyclopedia Annual (massaged to get all units in kWh):

Denmark:

Total Energy Use: 254,444 x 10^6 kWh

Total Electrical Production: 54,981 x 10^6 kWh

Total Electrical Use: 39,582 x 10^5 kWh

Fossil fuel use for electricity: 43,325 x 10^6 kWh

I take 2/3 of the 43,325 from the total: 254,444-.67*43,325 = 225,416 to
roughly account for the thermal efficiency problem. Then 39582/225416 would
give 17.6% electrical. Sorry about the mistake, but my main point is still
that replacing _electrical_ generation with renewables only addresses a very
small part of the overall problem of fossil fuel dependence|global warming
concerns|finite fuel supplies. All discussions of renewables for the future
need to talk about the TOTAL energy use.

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Associate Professor of Physics
Department of Chemistry & Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN 46556
219-284-4664
rtarara@saintmarys.edu

FREE Physics Instructional Software
www.saintmarys.edu/~rtarara

Win9.x, WinNT/2000, Win3.x, Dos, Mac, and PowerMac
New: Updated versions of the Energy Simulators
Windows and Mac CD-ROMs now available.