From: Rick Tarara [mailto:rbtarara@SPRYNET.COM]
Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2001 8:56 AM
To: PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu
Subject: Re: Fuel Cells and "green" energy

I think you've got all the main problems with hydro listed. Extreme
environmental groups (such as Greenpeace) oppose just about anything with an
environmental effect (excluding solar and wind for which they conveniently
ignore the effects).

Your last point is the most important. Today in the U.S. hydro provides
only about 3% of the total energy demand (about 10% of the electrical
demand). We have tapped about half of the economically feasible hydro
sources. Therefore, in a 100% renewable energy economy (one that is almost
entirely electrical in nature), we could only provide about 5% of the total
energy demands using hydro (and the percentage drops as the population
grows). This then puts the environmental damage in perspective--do we
really want to do this kind of damage for so little gain? Probably only
those projects which offer serious flood control and irrigation potential
will be considered in the future.

Rick Tarara

Richard W. Tarara
Associate Professor of Physics
Department of Chemistry & Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN 46556
219-284-4664
rtarara@saintmarys.edu

FREE Physics Instructional Software
www.saintmarys.edu/~rtarara

Win9.x, WinNT/2000, Win3.x, Dos, Mac, and PowerMac
New: SIMLAB 2001 photo-realistic lab simulations.
Windows and Mac CD-ROMs now available.