Re: Lenz's Law

Hi all-
I agree with John that there is little analogy between
"Lenz's Rule" (Feynman's term) and Newton's Third Law. I disagree that
that the importance of the Third Law is that it leads to conservation of
momentum. It is true that the conservation law can be argued from the
third law. But Feynman gives an alternative argument from Galilean
relativity (the second law). See the Lectures I-10-2.
I think that the real importance of the third law lies in its use
for solving problems by isolating small parts of a complicated system and
analyzing each part separately. So we say, in our shorthand lingo, that
we can make a "free-body diagram" for each part of the system and apply
Newton's second law to that part. We then use our knowledge of the
relationship of the parts to discover how the system functions.
Regards,
Jack