Fuel Cells

Can someone please tutor me re "fuel cells" --

How do they work?

Tell me in what way the process is "renewable" -- Doesn't the energy of
the so called fuel have to be increased in some way -- ie doesn't the likes
of H2 and O2 have to be made so that later they can react? IE the net
supply of electrical power is <0.

BTW I remember the early days of solar cells -- It required far more
fuel/electrical power to process the s/c than ever could be replaced in the
lifetime of the cell. That is why our group stopped working on them. IE
the net supply of electrical power was <0.
What is that status of this issue today?

Comments???

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com
http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen