[no subject]

John S. Denker wrote:

=====================

The term "EMF" carries the following unfortunate baggage:
1) The quantity it represents is an energy per unit charge,
so why call it a force?

Here's one thought on the name, which didn't occur to me until I saw the
table in a thermo text. I'm not saying it is a great reason, but it at
least makes historical sense.

SYSTEM GENERALIZED GENERALIZED WORK
FORCE DISPLACEMENT
Hyrodstatic pressure volume -PdV
Wire force length FdL
Magnetic H field magnetization muHdM
Battery emf charge (emf)dZ

Some intensive quantity ("force") times some extensive quantity
("displacement") gives work. The approriate "force" for the battery is the
emf.

Tim Folkerts
FHSU