Re: Centrifuge in "World Book"

In many recent articles about the energy situation
in California I saw KW and MW used instead of KWh
and MWh. I was annoyed but it was clear, in the
context, that the authors referred to amounts of
energy and not to rates of using it.

John Clement wrote:

Heavier implies greater weight. It is the less dense substance that comes
to the top, and the more dense goes to the bottom. Note that the solids
Styrofoam and pumice will both float to the top. This description
reinforces the common student misconception that light things float and
heavy things sink.

Is it a misconception or a poor use of words?
Do they think that a huge block of styrofoam will
sink because it would be too heavy to float?
Ludwik Kowalski