Re: SR examination question

At 09:09 PM 5/18/01 -0500, Rick Tarara wrote:

In my mind the original question is a simple 'moving clocks run slow'
question and aimed at introductory students where the instruction and the
text on SR goes little beyond:

1) Moving clocks run slow
2) Moving masses increase
3) Moving length contract along the direction of motion

But whatever happened to the rest of the physics?

4) Moving clocks are offset in proportion to how far away
they are located.

Of course this is not the first (or last) time a topic that started out as
a discussion for a H.S. or College intro course has turned into a
free-for-all at the theoretical dissertation level. ;-)

I thought a dissertation was supposed to be original scholarly
research. ISTM there is no time in the last 95+ years when "discovering"
the non-invariance of simultaneity at a distance would meet this standard.

We can discuss three levels of sophistication:
a) How sophisticated is the questioner?
b) How sophisticated are the answers given here?
c) How sophisticated are the students, the intended test-takers?

a) It seems to me that the questioner would do well at the 2nd grade level,
having mastered the notion that the second-hand goes around once per
minute. At the college introductory physics level, the questioner would
not do so well, having overlooked the issue of simultaneity at a distance.

b) The answers that have been posted here do not require anything more than
-- physics: knowing that simultaneity-at-a-distance is an issue,
-- physics: being able to draw a spacetime diagram, and
-- English: realizing that clauses beginning with "when" express a timing
condition.

c) I would hope that any student who expects to do well on the IB test
would be able to handle things at this level.

There is some good that can come of this.