Re: SR examination question

Would it compound the confusion to offer a usual formulation of time
dilation in words, which goes like this:
"If two observers are moving at constant velocity relative to each other,
it will appear to each that the other's clock has been slowed down."

Using the ratio 1/(1-v^2/c^2)^0.5 =0.44 for v = 0.9c
we suppose that each sees the significant other ticking at 44% of
the personal rate, and each can notice that the other's watch will
indicate the passage of one minute while the local watch indicates
1 min/44% = 2.3 minutes have elapsed.

Or to put it another way, the local watch indicates the passage
of one minute while the remote watch is seen to indicate the passage of
1 min X 44% = 26 seconds.

This seems like a more reasonable formulation to me, in so far as
any of these relativistic constructions is reasonable - but I am
prepared for the awful realisation that comfort with descriptions
of mind experiments may be a personal thing.

Brian